About The Cradle
Who We Are
The Cradle is a nonprofit, licensed child welfare agency providing adoption services, counseling and educational support. Since opening in 1923, The Cradle has facilitated over 16,000 domestic and international adoptions and has been at the forefront of open adoption, African American infant adoption and LGBTQ+ placements.
Building families through adoption. Supporting families through life's challenges. Strengthening communities through education.
A world where every child thrives in a safe and loving family.
The Cradle is a national leader in open adoption and child welfare. Licensed by the states of IL and IN, The Cradle is fully accredited to provide adoption services for Hague Convention Countries for the U.S. State Department by the Intercountry Adoption Accreditation and Maintenance Entity. The Nursery and Infants with Special Needs Program is assessed annually by the State of IL and DCFS, receiving a 100% compliance grade in September 2020.
- Family: We believe family comes first, always.
- Collaboration: We enthusiastically support one another, believing that by working together we are stronger, better, smarter and more effective.
- Diversity & Inclusion: We respect and value the uniqueness of all individuals, prioritize diverse perspectives and welcome all people. We recognize that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are at the center of what we do; not in addition to what we do.
- Ethics: We do what’s right, even when it’s hard to do, and we are worthy of the trust placed in us.
- Accountability: We are responsible for our actions and hold ourselves and others accountable.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence every day with everyone, because if better is possible then good is not enough.
- Integrity: We act and speak honestly, do what we say we will do and we make decisions that align with our mission and vision.
Thank you for standing together with us to help ensure we can keep moving forward together, as a community of families based around the love that stems from adoption. The Cradle Foundation was created in 2003 to raise and manage funds in support of The Cradle’s outstanding adoption and child welfare programs and services. Gifts made through The Cradle Foundation directly support The Cradle. The Cradle Foundation’s Federal Tax Identification Number is 45-0506764.